Friday, October 5, 2012

The Party Line?

It’s officially that time of the year.  You know the time when every social and media network is spewing the nauseating half truths of every politician and the quote-unquote public interest groups this side of the Atlantic Ocean.  I cannot turn the television on without at least five commercials from one party or the other berating the other candidate’s ethics, morals, political decisions, etc.  Who hasn’t paid their taxes? Who may not be a natural born citizen?
And just when I am so numbed by these inanities, I turn to Facebook for more light-hearted social niceties only to find, amidst Pinterest pins and picture postings, that my friends have engaged in the same word-driven warfare against their friends and rivals alike and I’m disheartened. 
Don’t get me wrong.  It is not that I don’t care about the state of our country.  I have more than half my life to live still and three wonderfully amazing children to raise and provide prosperous futures for.  So why the disheartened feeling at this time of the year?  Why get agitated at the television commercials and media postings?  Why nearly vomit at the news headlines and social media feeds?
Because I am smart enough to know that the American public knows just enough to be dangerous.  That regardless of Republican or Democrat, Red or Blue, liberal or conservative there is an unfortunate reality that Americans like me will face come Election Day.  Most of America will vote based on the half truths they’ve heard or read and believe to be accurate.  Most of America will vote based on the party line they tote regardless of whether that decision is in their own or their country’s best interest currently.  And, most of America will be disappointed in the subsequent years, whether “their” candidate won or lost, because they will most definitely be confronted with the one truth that will always remain constant; promises were made-promises were broken.  Sometimes these broken promises are not the sole fault of one man or woman, but we will still harness our disappointment towards his/her “success” in office and come next election day use this as the ammunition we fire at the future potential President.
At dinner with friends recently, I was tempted to join in on the Romney versus Obama discussion, but refused to get sucked into the political debating.  Truth be told, I am sure of only one thing. I do not have the answers for what our country needs and I’d rather not engage in a tug of war down the party line.  I’d rather leave my political stance to myself.  So instead I made light of the conversation, turned to my girlfriend and said “Speaking of party lines, the kids’ birthday party is going to be at Fairfield Farms again this year.”
We began our idle chitchat about the decorations and how much fun the kids all had playing in the hay and picking pumpkins.  I clamored away on my choice between gingham plaid tablecloths or burlap and the benefits to each in creating the perfect tablescape.  I vented over how difficult it was to find the right glassware at reasonable prices.  I was quite content with this new conversation, as was my girlfriend, however I could not help but notice her husband’s sneer at my change of topic.  Like many, his political opinions were ripe for the picking and he was eager to engage in the banter.  I found myself angered more and more by each comment he made in his discussion with my husband, most of them the same narrow-mindedness that turns my stomach as I listen to the political ads, etc. erupting at every turn. I half-heartedly made my way through the rest of the evening thoroughly saddened that a simple evening with friends, as rare as they are these days with most of us more than preoccupied with family time, was burdened with such heaviness.  I would much rather have argued over who had the better charades partner than political leadership choices.  I’m exhausted by all this election who-ha nonsense. I am no more ready today than I will be on Election Day regardless of how much more “information” I am fed.  In an unfortunate time where we are constantly connected to our phones, iPads/iPods, etc., where work consumes the majority of our lives and  social interaction becomes increasingly difficult to plan because of everyone’s busy schedules,  it would have been nice if the adults could have put away not only their electronics but also their politics.  Maybe I have it wrong, but I so much more enjoy a good game night than a political party debate.  I think it brings us closer (even if I am extremely competitive- yes I admit it) and reminds us of the value of friendship.  Friendships are after all what get us through the difficult times…

<insert shameless plug...one of my next posts will be all about Matthew & Meghan's adorable party!>

No comments:

Post a Comment